Guardianship News:

Report Ward Abuse (FLORIDA)

Seal of the State of Florida Seal of the State of Florida


Immediate Steps to Take

At the first moment of awareness or suspicion of any type of abuse relating to guardians and wards, families and advocates should immediately take action. Immediately.

There are procedures in place that allow reports of guardianship abuses at various levels of State government.

While there has been historically little in the way of meaningful response, submitting an entire series of complaints to all the various agencies is preferable to piecemeal complaints over time.

Documentation of these complaints can be used as evidence in hearings as well.

If you become aware of abuse, click on these hyperlinks (underlined)

FIRST PLEASE Sign up to subscribe to AAAPG if you have not already done so


Next Steps

YOU NEED to forward a formal complaint outlining the specific guardian violations of

FL Statute 744  and FL Statute 825

to the Office of Public and Private Guardians Director

email Jason Nelson DOEA


YOU NEED to lodge a formal abuse complaint by Fax with DCFS


YOU NEED to lodge a complaint with AHCA about the facility and/or hospital


YOU NEED to lodge a formal complaint about the misdeeds of the Judge with the Florida Judicial Qualifications Commission at


YOU NEED to lodge a complaint about Physician misconduct with

The Florida Board of Medicine


Complaints about Nurses and other licensed health care providers like social worker and LPN’s and CNA’s go to

Florida Healthcare Complaint Portal


YOU NEED to file a Bar complaint against the lawyer(s) with the Florida Bar

Click on “Regulation” and then “Lawyer Conduct” once at the Florida Bar’s website.
The Client Assistance program is called the Attorney Consumer Assistance Program (ACAP). ACAP is the department that handles client

ACAP Hotline – (866) 352-0707.
The Florida Bar
651 E. Jefferson Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2300
(850) 561-5600

referencing specific violations of Code of Lawyer Ethics


YOU NEED to formally complain to the VA about diversion of VA benefits using the OIG’s

VA Complaint Form if your loved one is entitled to VA benefits


YOU NEED to complain to the SSA about diversion of SSA benefits

at the first hint of guardianship

Go to your local SSA Office which can be found and immediately apply to be “representative payee” for your loved one

Then submit a report to SSA Inspector General’s Complaint Department about the diversion of your loved one’s benefits into the hands of the guardian


YOU NEED to go to your local police and file a criminal complaint that alleges elder abuse including financial and elder abuse and isolation of a vulnerable senior and request a grand jury indictment to criminally prosecute judges-lawyers involved with abduction, kidnapping, hostage taking (18USCS1201) and slavery in violation of the 4th,5th,13th,14th Bill of Rights

click to see an example of criminal complaint


YOU NEED to contact and copy your State Representatives and State Senators with all your complaints


YOU NEED to share your story with media including your local TV and Radio stations news departments, local newspaper news reporters


YOU NEED to keep copies of everything you send out


YOU NEED to follow up on every complaint and report to be sure they are not ignored or overlooked


This entire process can be done in one day since much the information is repetitive, but the time you spend is well worth the trouble.